What Is an SIA Licence?

Are you a security guard? Do you supply licensable services or have a contract that relates to a consumer?

Image Credit

If you have answered yes or are considering a career in this field, then you will need an SIA licence.

Are There Any Exceptions?

It is a criminal offence to undertake the licensable services of a security guard unless your company or employer has been granted an exemption under Section 4 of Private Security Industry Act 2001.

For your information, the only time that an exemption under this law would have been granted is if the company or employer has been given approved status by the SIA and they have met all of the other criteria and conditions that are required.

Sound serious? It is a little – but it is essential that you stay within the law, and if you want the earning potential and status that come with being a part of, for example, a Close Protection Service London, then getting your licence should be viewed simply as the first step to an amazing new future. Find out more by visiting https://www.valorousgroup.co.uk/.

How Much Does It Cost?

As you would expect when applying for a licence of any kind, there is a cost attached to the process. Your licence, when it is granted, will cover you for three years, and the fee of £210 which covers processing costs is non-refundable.

Image Credit

Now for the good news – if you are self-employed and have to pay the cost of the licence yourself, then you can claim it back as tax relief against your taxable income. (You will need to be registered for self-assessment in order to claim this – visit the HMRC website if you need further information).

There are also benefits to employers who purchase the licence for their employees in the sense that there is zero tax or National Insurance liability attached.

Need More Than One License?

There is a half-price discount for anyone requiring more than one licence.

Can I Integrate My Services into One Licence?

In certain scenarios, you can do this if you need to. If the licensing authority is satisfied that the criteria for one licence have been fully met, then they will sometimes grant permission for the additional services to be integrated into one licence for convenience.


Leave a Reply